- Emergency Management
- Home Fire Prevention
Home Fire Prevention
Home Safety tips
Fire Safety - Cooking
- Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol, don’t use the stove or stovetop.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
- If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the kitchen while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch fire such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains away from your stovetop.
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- Never use water to put out a grease fire. Use baking soda, cover the pot, or use a fire extinguisher.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Fire Safety - Yard
- Position barbecue grills at least 10 feet away from siding and deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
- Make sure the fire pit is at least three feet away from your house and anything that can burn.
- Remove leaves, pine needles, and other flammable material from the roof, gutters, and on and under the deck to help prevent embers from igniting your home.
- Remove dead vegetation and other flammable materials, especially within the first 5 feet of the home.
- Prune tree limbs so the lowest branches are 6 to 10 feet above the ground to help reduce the chance of fire getting into the crowns of the trees. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>